Subject: Enabling separate debug symbol support for gdb6
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/18/2006 02:55:20
--d01dLTUuW90fS44H

Hi folks.

gdb6 supports reading the debug symbols from separate files; see

    http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_16.html#SEC153=20

objcopy has supported this for a while with --only-keep-debug; see

   http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.17/binutils/objcopy.html#objcopy

(Yes, the gdb6 documentation is out of date and doesn't know about
objcopy --only-keep-debug ...)

I'm considering adding support to our build system to take advantage
of this functionality, this would allow us to go back to stripping
the system binaries whilst retaining the benefits of being able
to use gdb to debug the programs.

Some questions:

* Is this a good idea?

* The default globaldebugdir is: /usr/lib/debug
  I think that this should be:   /usr/libdata/debug

* Would we ship the debug files as part of the set that they're relevant to?
  Or the comp set?
  Or separate debug sets?  (eww, more sets to deal with)

* Is it worth trying to find the time to do this prior to NetBSD 4.0 ?

* Any other comments?

Luke.

--d01dLTUuW90fS44H

--d01dLTUuW90fS44H--