Subject: Re: Cross developing for NetBSD ARM on Linux
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Mayer <mmayer@redback.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/15/2006 15:05:17
marty fouts wrote:
> This is sort of an odd request, but I'm building a NetBSD-ARM system,
> and I have developers who will be developing for it that are already
> on Linux based boxes.

I am not an expert on the NetBSD build system, but this worked for me. I
wanted to try out cross-compiling NetBSD 3.0 for PPC on x86 Linux and I
just followed the steps described in [1].

I had been using a slower NetBSD 3.0 x86 box to do the cross-compile
before. I just used the same steps on Linux and it worked out of the
box. All you need is GCC installed on your Linux box, so build.sh can
build the tool-chain.

The reason this works is that build.sh checks for the presence of all
the tools it needs and if they aren't there, it just builds them from
source. That includes BSD's make(1) command. I had no issues whatsoever.

Good luck.

Regards,
Markus

[1] http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-build.html