Subject: Re: make(1)'s inbuilt objdir handling
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/25/2005 18:03:47
> >> Can't you get that effect with something like MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=./ in

MAKEOBJDIR=${.CURDIR}/obj should do that (works for me). See also
one of the previous posts.

> >> the environment?  I'd certainly prefer that people who want make to
> >> chdir around behind their back have to ask for it explicitly;
> > I can try it again, but I tried all sorts of combinations of
> > MAKEOBDIR and MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and none of it worked.
>
> Well, I have nothing against the "old" semantics being available.  I
> just think it's broken for them to be the default.
>
> Exactly how to request them is a question I'm mostly agnostic on, since
> the only use I have for them is in the NetBSD build process itself.
> Envariable, makefile macro, command-line flag, whatever.

It would be nice if assignments to MAKEOBJDIR (or .OBJDIR) from
the Makefile (or included fragment, for that matter) just worked,
so that people who want to use objdirs don't have to set the
environment (= error prone) or specify a commnad-line flag
(= annoying).

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek