Subject: bsd.sys.mk vs sys.mk
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/23/2005 14:22:39
--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

While working on compiling some LKMs from pkgsrc on NetBSD/macppc,
I discovered that while bsd.mkod.mk relies on having ${OBJDUMP} set,
nothing actually sets it anywhere.  When sanity-checking myself
on icb, James Chacon suggested that the correct thing to do
was to add

OBJDUMP?=	objdump

to sys.mk, and explain in the commit msg that bsd.kmod.mk relies
on it being set.  While looking into it a little further, I learned that
${OBJCOPY} is actually being set in bsd.sys.mk - which leads me
to question where the correct place for these definitions is.  Should
I put OBJDUMP in bsd.sys.mk, move OBJCOPY (anything else?) to sys.mk,
or split them between the files (I can't imagine the latter)?

Thanks,
+j

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--