Subject: Re: ld --as-needed broken ?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/13/2005 00:10:58
On Thu, 12 May 2005, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> > GNU libtool does more or less that with its .la files.
>
> ...and let's just hope that no one is actually suggesting GNU libtool as a
> solution to anyone's problems :-)

Well, all this was in my sidelong comment about inter-.so dependencies
causing headaches with static linking -- but only because static linking
requires specifying all -l's, including dependencies.  (Having the
dependencies between .so's would encourage a little complacency with LDFLAGS
lines in src/, but I can probably name a couple folks who would speak up if
static linking broke because of a forgotten -l.  :)

In essence, though, I *would* like to see inter-.so dependencies in
src/lib/, because it's TRT to do.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>