Subject: Re: ld --as-needed broken ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/11/2005 17:51:15
--uxuisgdDHaNETlh8

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 08:23:10AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005, matthew green wrote:
>=20
> >    It's the first time I see --as-needed, so I thought I would post her=
e before
> >    sending a PR..
>=20
> > this seems like a bug.
>=20
> Indeed.  Though it will probably take some convincing and/or steamrolling=
 of
> the "static link everything" crowd to get it to happen (since the fix is =
> add proper shlib dependencies to src/lib).

Why?

While I am very happy with a totally-dynamic system, I do see the need for=
=20
static linking a few programs. I personally do it so that the executable
has everything needed to debug what was happening (along with the core).=20
:-)

How would encoding dependencies in the shared libs break static libs?=20
Also, wouldn't it be nice to add dependencies to static linking too,=20
though more as an instruction to ld rather than ld.elf_so...  ??

Take care,

Bill

--uxuisgdDHaNETlh8

--uxuisgdDHaNETlh8--