Subject: Re: autoconf and m4 on netbsd-i386
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Kamal R. Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/04/2005 10:37:18
--- "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> "Kamal R. Prasad" <kamalpr@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> >  I downloaded netbsd 2.0 src tree on an i386
> system
> > running netbsd 2.0 (from the iso image). I did a
> > #./build.sh distribution
> > #./build.sh install=/
> >
> > That presumably installed a perfect distribution
> of
> > netbsd 2.0. When I ran autoconf in
> src/gnu/dist/gcc, I
> > got an error:-
>
> Yes, you did. Don't do that. The stuff in dist is
> hacked.
>
> If you need to build a different gcc, get a fresh
> distribution and

No -the existing gcc-3.3.3 is good enough for me. I
just need to add a backend to generate object code for
the ADSP 533 processor. I mean, every cpu type has a
module for it in gcc/config -but the version of gcc is
not much of an issue.

> build it outside of the tree. You should have no
> trouble using an
> external toolchain -- build.sh makes that easy.

Im not sure if I understand how build.sh can be used.
Can you point me to some documentation or elaborate on
that? In either case, the issue was with autoconf/m4
and not gcc. You should be able to handle a
configure.in script -as part of the base distribution.

 I downloaded autoconf213 from packages/NetBSD/i386
and it doesn't have a configure script or makefile.
Can someone pt me to the right set of files reqd to
get autoconf/m4 working on netbsd-i386?

> If you need to integrate a new toolchain into the
> existing netbsd
> tree, well, don't. It requires expert help.
>
> Perry

I'd be glad to be at the receiving end of expert help
-if it doesn't cost me anything:-).

regards
-kamal