Subject: Re: kernels no longer buildable in isolation?
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/17/2005 00:16:46
>> It just seems..broken..for "copy /sys to somewhere private, config
>> GENERIC, try to build" to break.
> You've never been able to just rely on sys/* only.

No, but everything else has been position-independent.

Traditionally, given a system on which "config GENERIC, build" works
(ie, one on which all the necessary bits, eg compiler, are installed),
"copy /sys to somewhere else, config GENERIC there, build there" also
works.

This is not true of NetBSD/i386 2.0, and I think that's broken.  My
note was an attempt to find out whether NetBSD shares my opinion (in
which case I should send-pr this) or not (in which case I should just
write it off as another incident of NetBSD breaking traditional stuff,
and remember it for future reference).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign