Subject: Proposed tweaks to CD-ROM layout
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/09/2005 16:50:32
[I posted this to tech-install before I remembered that we'd been
discussing this topic here. Sorry.]

Would anyone object if I commit the following?

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fredb/cdrom-layout.diff

The main idea is to allow a README, SOURCE_DATE and source directory
at the top level of ${RELEASEDIR} to be included in the CD-ROM.
(They're all optional.)  This is actually a change from release(7),
which has placed SOURCE_DATE in each arch's binary release directory,
but I think that's not correct, since all arch's binaries would be
built from the same source.

While in release(7), I noticed a few other things, particularly, the
split sets are gone, and there's a new way of making a release.

This is largely orthogonal to jrf's patch to add the "make-iso" image
to "./build.sh" (which I would like to see go in), although it looks
like there would be an easily resolved conflict.  Jason, where do we
stand with that?

I've been kicking around another idea, to move the cdrom images out of
".../installation/cdrom", and into a top-level directory, like they are
on ftp.netbsd.org, but I'm willing to table that to get things moving.

Frederick