Subject: Re: More libgcc
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/21/2004 09:13:39
On Friday 18 June 2004 16:28, Matt Thomas wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2004, at 12:49 AM, Nick Hudson wrote:
> > We have diverged from stock gcc in the way that libgcc_s.so is built
> > in that
> > stock gcc uses symbol versioning. This exposed a problem for sh3 where
> > couple of integer support functions were available that couldn't be
> > called
> > via a PLT. We have a solution to this in place atm, but I'd like to
> > replace
> > it with the symbol versioning trick.
>
> Our ld.elf_so doesn't know about symbol versioning.

Right. Well, not yet at least.

It's not needed at present all symbols will resolve as though they were not
versioned.

> > sh3 requires its own libgcc-std.ver to remove the functions
> > (libgcc-std.ver).
> > A similar fix has been included in gcc 3.4 and will be queued for
> > 3.3.x.
>
> That seems bogus to rely on symbol versioning.  How does it work for
> HPUX which doesn't have symver support?

I didn't know HPUX runs on sh3. ;)

Anyway, I have no idea what HPUX does with libgcc, but I do know that GCC is
setup to add symbol versions to libgcc on all ELF platforms (except OpenBSD,
but they don't count)

Nick