Subject: Re: crossbuild fails when objdir on NFS
To: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/02/2004 21:31:50
>I'm attempting to cross compile NetBSD ports under FreeBSD 5.2.1 alpha
>architecture.

>I can successfully cross-build ports fine when MAKEOBJDIR is set to a
>native filesystem.   But when I have MAKEOBJDIR pointing to an NFS
>mounted filesystem, the builds fail during gcc configuration--a tail of
>the log is below.

Just a data point.  I work at an essentially freebsd shop, and for
a _long_ time, we simply didn't allow builds involving NFS due to
problems like this*.  We've found though that freebsd 4.8 works ok
as a client - using a netapp as server, so NFS based builds are
allowed again now.

--sjg

* freebsd 2.8 would occasionally manage to fill a block of nuls in
the middle of files read from server.  Depending on the file this would
result in a build failure - or worse, successful build and weird crash
when running.
freebsd 4.2 worked much better, but the build would always fail
on the same ld command.
freebsd 4.8 worked ok - at least when server was a netapp.