Subject: Re: MAKEFLAGS/MFLAGS
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@tendra.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/18/2004 11:30:00
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:18:23 +0900, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai writes:
>Well, I am not shy of getting the best features of the makes out there
>in one make. :)

As are we all - problem is sometimes agreeing what's best ;-)

>Well, I am a FreeBSD guy originally so I am not that familiar with most
>of NetBSD's customizations yet.

At work we use a code base originally derrived from FreeBSD (plus bits
from NetBSD) - but we use bmake to build it.  For a taste of what
bmake (NetBSD make) can do, look at warnings.mk in
pkgsrc/devel/mk-files - but be warned - you need a strong stomach.
The latest version of dpadd.mk (not out there yet) has some even
sicker magic.

>Back to the drawing board for a 'new' name.  Suggestions welcome. :)

Sorry - nameing things is hard.

>Simon, interested in discussing back and forth some ideas I had on improving
>make and pulling it kicking and screaming into the 21st century?

Yes and no.  Yes I'm interested in improving make, but changing make
in any way is dangerous (every obscure feature/bug is relied on by
someone).  I added a unit-test suite to make to help avoid
regressions but I doubt it covers even 1% of the code paths.
While my job does allow me to hack make, ENOTIME is generally an issue.

--sjg