Subject: re: how to use crosscompiler?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/04/2004 19:26:00
   On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

   : > 	ln -s $VAXROOT/usr/lib .
   : > 	PATH=`pwd`/bin
   : > 	export PATH
   :
   : How does this handle .so's in $DESTDIR/lib?

   It's fine, insofar that NetBSD ld(1) doesn't automatically create an rpath
   from a -L option.  If any base system libraries are interdependent (was
   linked with -lfoo), then it may need -rpath-link at link time, but most of
   the base libraries have to be specified explicitly so this should be OK.

   : Also note, that symlinks from $DESTDIR/usr/lib are absolute symlinks to
   : /lib, which is probably now what you wnat on your host machine.

   Eh!?  I guess I haven't paid much attention to -current lately.  All of
   /usr/lib moved to /lib?  (If so, then the symlink should probably be
   "../lib", not "/lib".)

apparently it's faster to use /lib than ../../lib (not all of /lib moved).

i'd prefer the /usr/lib symlinks to /lib used relative symlinks, as this
problem has caused multiple issues for multiple people...

it's "easily" solved by putting -L$DESTDIR/lib before -L$DESTDIR/usr/lib.

.mrg.