Subject: Re: patches to fix make -j
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/17/2003 12:43:18
On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 07:39:23PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, James Chacon wrote:
> > Concerns/comments welcome. Otherwise I'll probably commit these in the next
> > few days barring objections.
>
> If you want to do some more testing (ENOTIME here right now), try setting
>
> 	MAKE_FLAGS= -j 1	# 2, ...
>
> in /etc/mk.conf, then try to build some packages. Didn't work for me when
> I tried it on a 1-CPU machine some time ago...

Unless your Makefiles have been tuned for -j it's likely to break as -j
means dependencies can be built in any order. So without .WAIT's in
correct places it's unlikely to "do the right thing" in a lot of cases.

Do you remember specific breakage? This one is mostly fixing the "doesn't
always stop the make when an error comes up" one.

James