Subject: Re: Fwd: libc without YP
To: Srinivasa Kanduru <ksraghavan@yahoo.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/26/2003 09:09:04
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:31:21PM -0800, Srinivasa Kanduru wrote:
  | The nsswitch has only the compat method, the rest are not in the
  | table. The local password authentication scheme is also defined but
  | not added to the switch. I assume all the methods are well tested
  | but left to the user's choice to add it or leave it. Is that right ?

The nsswitch methods have been tested over time, as various people use
the different configuration possibilities in production.

As most people or developers don't try and build a system that has the
entire support for YP or HESIOD removed, it appears that the those
controls are not fully complete.  I do know of people who build with
both YP and HESIOD disabled, so it seems that it's just the removal
of either YP or HESIOD that needs fixing.

Is there any particular reason that you're removing YP support in
entirity from libc without removing the HESIOD support?