Subject: Re: Toolchain for netbsd on FreeBSD
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/17/2003 23:31:02
On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 13:13:12 -0800, Srinivasa Kanduru wrote:

> I was trying to cross-compile netbsd 1.6.1 on FreeBSD.  I was having
> some problems in making it self-sufficient in the sense building it
> without using any of the host libraries.  I tried it on i386
> architecture.
[...]
> It may be that I took the distribution from the wrong place or I am
> doing something wrong. Can somebody throw some light on it?

Yes, you are doing this the wrong way.  You need to use netbsd
cross-compilation facilities conveniently wrapped in the build.sh
script.  1.6.1 my have problems with cross building on FreeBSD, but in
-current support for cross-building on FreeBSD is much better.
Actually I use a fast FreeBSD machine as a build box to build worlds
for NetBSD/i386, /sparc, /netwinder (arm) and /hpcsh (sh3).

Read the file BUILDING located in the root of the source tree.

SY, Uwe