Subject: re: Fw: Re: problems crossbuilding from solaris
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/23/2003 00:36:22

   Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au> writes:
   > > I've been trying to build netbsd-current on both a solaris-2.6/sparc
   > > with gcc-2.95.1 and on a solaris-2.8/sparc with the sun pro compiler.
   >
   > Back when I was making HP-UX cross builds work, thorpej and lukem
   > suggested that gcc was the way to go for the bootstrap.
   >
   > It didn't look like a lot of work would be needed to make other
   > compilers work, but since gcc is available for most (all?)
   > interesting potential cross build platforms there doesn't seem to be a
   > huge benefit to such efforts either.
   >
   > I went with the flow and used gcc.

   Note that we make use of a lot of gcc extensions, like the extended
   embedded asm stuff, in the kernel, so it might be hard to use another
   compiler easily. :(

not that this has _anything_ to do with the host compiler.  we
should support non-gcc host compilers.  anything capable of
building the real compiler itself...

.mrg.