Subject: Re: Fw: Re: problems crossbuilding from solaris
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Dan McMahill <dan@mcmahill.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/22/2003 19:01:35
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:36:22AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

>    Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au> writes:
>    > > I've been trying to build netbsd-current on both a solaris-2.6/sparc
>    > > with gcc-2.95.1 and on a solaris-2.8/sparc with the sun pro compiler.
>    >
>    > Back when I was making HP-UX cross builds work, thorpej and lukem
>    > suggested that gcc was the way to go for the bootstrap.
>    >
>    > It didn't look like a lot of work would be needed to make other
>    > compilers work, but since gcc is available for most (all?)
>    > interesting potential cross build platforms there doesn't seem to be a
>    > huge benefit to such efforts either.
>    >
>    > I went with the flow and used gcc.
>
>    Note that we make use of a lot of gcc extensions, like the extended
>    embedded asm stuff, in the kernel, so it might be hard to use another
>    compiler easily. :(
>

> not that this has _anything_ to do with the host compiler.  we
> should support non-gcc host compilers.  anything capable of
> building the real compiler itself...

Right.  I'm losing while building the cross toolchain.  The failure on the
solaris-2.8 box looked like maybe some variable just wasn't set right.  Didn't
have much time to investigate yet.  That was during the gcc build.

On the 2.6 box, I've been losing in other ways before even getting to the
cross-gcc build but I'm making progress.

-Dan