Subject: Trimming the build
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/15/2003 13:20:29
In trying to reduce the build time for an embedded system, it would
nice to able to cut various parts of the build that will never be used.
We already some with MKKERBEROS, etc.  I'd like to propose some more.

MKUUCP
MKBINUTILS      (does not include gdb)
MKPOSTFIX
MKSENDMAIL
MKINET6         (rtsol6, etc.)
MKCVS

I would also like to split MKGCC into two: MKGCC and MKGCCLIBS.
MKGCC controls whether the frontends get built and MKGCCLIBS controls
make the gcc libraries get built.  Or leave MKGCC alone and have
MKGCCBIN and MKGCCLIBS as additional finer-grained controls.

Other things could be done as well but they don't have the significant
build times to be worth it.

One thing I'd is to do MKCRYPTO=no and MKSSH=yes which would still make
libcrypto but not libssl, etc. so that ssh could link against it.  However
it would not be installed.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/