Subject: Re: printing expanded variables?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Mark Valentine <mark@valentine.me.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/05/2003 00:41:22
> From: "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@crufty.net>
> Date: Sat 4 Oct, 2003
> Subject: Re: printing expanded variables?

> >If NetBSD's -V wasn't an independent addition, then presumably it was picked
>
> I can't say, its been there for as long as I can remember (which
> doesn't say much for my memory).

Aha...

  Jul 1996: FreeBSD make -V option added
  Nov 1996: NetBSD make -V option adopted
  Jun 1998: FreeBSD make -V evaluates recursively (grr)
  Sep 2000: FreeBSD make -X band-aid added (I woke up)
  Mar 2003: NetBSD make -X option added

I didn't _think_ I would have chosen an option which was already in use by a
BSD make...

> The new NetBSD behavior is pretty simple - we call VarValue or
> VarSubst depending on whether the arg contains $.  So your
>
> >haven't looked to see what "make -V 'FOO$BAR'" does, for example), since make
>
> It will print FOO${B}AR
> $ B="LED YOU BY F" make -V 'FOO$BAR'
> FOOLED YOU BY FAR
> make: no target to make.
>
> ;-)

Good, no evil cleverness there.  :-)

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*