Subject: Re: Making the (asm) world safe for modern cpp
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/19/2003 10:33:36
der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
> > One of the reasons is that .S files do go through the preprocessor
> > and assembler comments are not preprocessor comments.
>
> Of course, the fundamental problem here is the use of a C-specific tool
> (the C preprocessor) to process non-C text - the same basic problem
> that X's imake suffers from.

Unfortunately, the use of cpp makes sense for this, because it allows
us to share common definitions of system constants between the .S
files and .c files in the kernel. I agree, though, that it would be
nice if there was a simple alternative. Sadly, I don't think there is.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com