Subject: Re: GCC 3.x support
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/16/2003 01:46:38
On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 09:10:29PM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
> In case anyone is wondering when/if the VAX port will switch to using
> GCC 3.x, I've got some good news and I've got some bad news.
>
> The good news is that I've most of the work to merge the VAX PIC changes
> into the GCC 3.4 (aka gcc-current) sources.  The bad news is that GCC
> 3.4
> currently has problems compiling any source code with a complication
> switch statement.  There are probably other issues lurking as well.
> This
> significantly affects my ability to test and submit my changes for
> pullup
> into the GCC 3.4 release.
>
> Given the above, it's doubtful that GCC 3.3.x will ever support emitting
> PIC VAX code.

Just to clarify.. do you mean GCC 3.3.x out of the box, or as present
in the tree? Are the changes for 3.4 you made applicable to 3.3.x?

To be short: what will be the status of our in-tree gcc for the next
release?

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org