Subject: src/tools/binutils does too much
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/07/2003 23:25:12
I had some trouble generating the glue for amd64 (x86_64) for gcc3
and binutils, but finally managed to do it.

However, it can still not be used to do a full build. The problem is,
that src/tools/binutils/Makefile does too much work. It calls
configure in gnu/dist/toolchain, which *always* descends into
the gcc/ subdir. But, that's gcc 2.95.3, which doesn't know
about x86_64--netbsd, so it bombs. Same goes for the gdb/
subdir, which I can't use (amd64 must go from nothing to gdb53).

Obviously, you don't need (and don't want) the old gcc, so
I'd like to avoid this somehow. But, I can't seem to tell
configure to skip the gcc subdir. Renaming it seems to work,
but that's not an option.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? As it stands now,
I can't do fully native builds (without hacks) until
gnu/dist/toolchain/gcc is completely removed, and that
means it would have to wait until all other platforms
are done.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org