Subject: Re: printing expanded variables?
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/03/2003 13:41:17
>I suggest defining "-v" as a "verbose" flag.  It will not do much for now,
>but could be made to do more later.  (See other thread about "-v" cancelling
>the effect of "@" or .SILENT rules.)

>Then let "-v -V VARNAME" mean "verbosely display the value of ${VARNAME)".

I can handle -vV variable, but the output should only vary from -V
by the fact that the value is expanded else you lose much of the benfit.
Ie. you'd then need to parse the output rather than being able to just
foo=`make -vV FOO`

>I prefer not to use "-E" (as was suggested in another message), because
>it seems to be a waste of precious option letters.

I don't think they are that scarce and -E is reasonably mnemonic.

Thanks
--sjg