Subject: Softfloat and GCC
To: None <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/03/2003 18:37:55
In article <20030903165140.GE24810@snark.ptc.spbu.ru> you write:
>PS: While we are at the topic of libc vs. libgcc why do we have our
>own softfloat in libc and also have gcc's softfloat in libgcc?

As far as I know, libgcc only provides routines for converting between
floating-point types and uint64, int64, and uint32 types, all of which
ultimately seem to end up being implemented using __fix*fsi().  libc then
provides that, along with all the actual floating-point arithmetic code.

It would probably be faster and more accurate to use the SoftFloat code
directly for everything (and for sqrt() too), but I've never got round to
working out how to do this without breaking everything.

--
Ben Harris