Subject: Re: make should unset $ENV
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/01/2003 17:39:05
>> The patch below unsets $ENV at the ealiest opportunity.

>How far down the road of giving make-executed commands a `standard'
>environment instead of the user's environment do you want to go?

Quite a long way ;-)

>For example, are you going to unset $PATH too?  This is not a
>rhetorical device; I really don't see why you would unset ENV but not
>PATH.

Well in my builds at work all trees are built in a "sandbox" that does just
that.  Ie. the PATH and environment are sanatized, mk.conf is ignored etc.
If you want to ensure you can reproduce a build in 5 years, you need to
be pretty careful about the build env.
Also sanatizing the build env minimizes the build breaks that can otherwise
occur when folk have setup their environment for building -current, then try
to build some old branch.

--sjg