Subject: Re: Excising Check_Cwd* from make.
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/01/2003 10:13:42
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> About 3 years ago when I added this stuff to make - so that I could
> build the netbsd tree using MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX, it seemed the path of
> least resistance...

I seem to recall that this was a hack to detect Makefiles that
did this:

	target:
		${MAKE} other-target

when they should really have done this:

	target:
		cd ${.CURDIR} && ${MAKE} other-target

As far as I know, the NetBSD source tree doesn't contain any such broken
Makefiles.  But perhaps pkgsrc or third party sources would still benefit
from this hack?

> I don't have a machine handy to build -current on, so would appreciate
> it if someone who uses build.sh -M could try doing so with
> NOCHECKMAKECHDIR set in env or /etc/mk.conf

It breaks for me, for reasons unrelated to make itself.  Just the usual
"-current often doesn't build" problems.

--apb (Alan Barrett)