Subject: re: GCC3.3 update status
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/28/2003 19:00:02

     |    Just to make things even stranger, if I cd into the obj dir, and copy
     |    and paste the above line, it works, I'm a bit stumped on what's wrong...
     |
     | yeah, i have the same problem with libstdc++-v3!

   When this happens, it usually means that there's a quoting problem,
   which isn't obvious from the make output (quotes are gone already)
   so that what is cut+pasted into the shell isn't actually what make
   ran, but instead the obvious correct thing that should be run.

lukem found the bug in this case - it was the difference between the
command echoed by a rule and the command make run.  eg:

foo:
	@echo cc hello.c
	@cc -g hello.c

i was pasting the echo'ed command, not the one that make actually ran.

luke has since removed all rules like this i believe :-)

.mrg.