Subject: GCC3.3 update status
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/28/2003 01:30:04
hi folks.

gcc3 update goes well.  we are almost ready to switch several platforms
over once a couple of minor issues and some more testing has been done,
and most other platforms aren't far behind.

	currently ready [1]:
		i386, sparc, sparc64, arm, mipsel, alpha

	currently almost ready [2]:
		mipseb, m68k

	mostly done:
		m68000[3], sh3el, sh3eb[4]

	missing [5]:
		powerpc, hppa, sh5, amd64, vax

[1] libstdc++-v3 fails to build "-pg" so there is no profile version
of this library currently.

[2] these just require testing to be sure.

[3] m68000 seems to be generally broken currently

[4] sh3 can't build anything with "-pg" currently.. may need to set
NOPROFILE there for now

[5] powerpc fails to bootstrap early on me for some reason, i have not
yet looked at why.  the rest of these are not going to be done by me
(hi matt!)

there are a couple of things still remaining:

	- sets lists need to be updated

	- build more kernels with gcc3.3

	- and probably a few more...

however, things are at the stage where people can begin to test ...
i haven't tried this but setting USE_TOOLS_TOOLCHAIN=no in /etc/mk.conf
should be enough to force the build to use/build GCC3.  this will
*definately* result in a `distribution' or higher build target failing
due to the not updated sets lists, but a `build' should work fine...

there are instructions in tools/gcc/README.mknative on (re)generating
gcc configury for each platform, but mostly this is done for everyone
already.

enjoy.

.mrg.