Subject: Re: bsd.dep.mk problem: mkdep vs. -nostdinc++
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/29/2003 15:59:03
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 10:48:02PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
> : > Huh?  Why is this running autoconf's configure *and* running NetBSD's
> : > ${MKDEP} (aka "nbhost-mkdep")!?  In src/tools, you do a "configure"-based
> : > compile and a "make" on the generated tree, OR a BSD-Makefile compile, but
> : > not both on the same program.
> :
> : No clue.
> : It seems to be intended, since usr.bin/Makefile has host-mkdep as first SUBDIR
> : and a .WAIT before compat.
>
> Um, no, I was talking about running nbhost-mkdep in groff.  It shouldn't be
> running nbhost-mkdep in src/tools/groff at all if groff is using GNU
> makefiles.

The configure and nbhost-mkdep run I pasted was in tools/compat.
I guess it runs configure to find out which files need to be included,
and then a "normal" build begins. That's the reason I was talking about SUBDIR
above.

With the patch to handle cpp the same as cc in bsd.dep.mk, the nbhost-mkdep
in tools/compat fails.
Without the patch, 'make dependall' in gnu/usr.bin/groff fails (the one where
plain BSD reach-over makefiles are used).

I hope that explains the problem better.
 Thomas