Subject: Re: Best way to install on taget after cross-build
To: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/24/2003 18:19:17
On Sat, 24 May 2003, Xavier HUMBERT wrote:

> I'm asking if my way to install the result of a cross-build is optimal :
>

> 1- Build to $DESTDIR=/usr/destdir.$MACHINE
> 2- Copy the newly built kernel to $DESTDIR/netbsd
> 3- copy the whole toolchain /usr/tools.$MACHINE to $DESTDIR/usr/tools
> 4- entirely delete $DESTDIR/etc
> 5- build a tar.gz archive of $DESTDIR, copy it to the target machine
> 6- untar this archive into /, run etcinstall on the target machine

I'd just make a release, and do a normal install.

> AFAIK, the very last step (etcupdate) must be ran on the target machine,
> right ?

The etcupdate step must be run on the target machine's /etc directory.

If you can be certain that the /etc on the $DESTDIR (or somewhere else on
the build machine) mirrors the target /etc, you can do it there & just
copy. But I'd just run it on the target in single-user mode.

> I cannot NFS mount target or build machine, since they possibly are
> across DMZ.

Makes sense.

Take care,

Bill