Subject: weak libgcc functions in shared libs, when did this happen?
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/14/2003 18:43:55
Hi -
to solve an issue wrt loading C++ libraries into the Python
interpreter I'd like to understand a change which happened
between 1.5 and now (at least on i386):

On 1.5, libgcc functions are just undefined in shared libs:

$ nm /usr/pkg/lib/libwx_gtk.so|grep __builtin_new
	U __builtin_new

The common hack around this is to force the whole libgcc
into the interpreter or whatever program might dynamically
load foreign code by sth like "--whole-archive -lgcc"

In -current, this is not needed because the support functions
are put into the library:

$ nm /usr/pkg/lib/libwx_gtk.so|grep __builtin_new
00434ed4 W __builtin_new

What I'd like to know is when this change happened, and how
a "working" toolchain can be easily identified (NetBSD version
or gcc revision).

thanks & best regards
Matthias