Subject: Re: build.sh defaults file
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/06/2003 15:51:52
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> I didn't say it was a problem. YOU said it was. I offered to add such
> a silly warning for your benefit, not mine.

Don't try to placate me by adding a silly warning. It doesn't address
the problem and it's patronizing.

> Why should everyone on earth have to write one?

Why should everyone on earth have to write a config file?

> This is much like why people don't all install something like emacs by
> hand but instead use pkgsrc.

No, that solves harder problems. The principal flaw with your
suggestion is that it does something so simple that it's not worth
having an extra hook to do it.

> By the way, the argument over this has now consumed more time than all
> the problems that you'll ever face over this will consume for you
> going forward.

Given the hours, days, and weeks I've spent debugging subtle,
badly-documented dependancy issues, I can flat out say this is
wrong. If we're still arguing about this in April, then maybe.

        - Nathan