Subject: Re: tweaks for fparseln(3) move from libutil to libc
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/04/2002 22:57:53
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:18:59PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
  | In article <20021203130352.D610@snowdrop.l8s.co.uk>,
  | David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
  | >The recent changes:
  | >
  | >tweaks for fparseln(3) move from libutil to libc:
  | >- remove #include <util.h> if nothing else needed it
  | >- remove LDFLAGS+=-lutil if nothing else needed it
  | >
  | >stop the build running because fparseln isn't in libc
  | >on the build system.
  | >
  | >I had to revert these changes to get the host tools
  | >pax, makefs and mtree to compile.
  | >
  | >In particular two files in mktree needed util.h
  | >and I added HOST_LDFLAGS += -lutil to all 3 builds.
  | >
  | >Cross build on alien systems are likely to fall over badly
  | >(unless these is some magic elsewhere).
  |
  | There is magic in libnbcompat to include fparseln if the
  | system needs it. Unfortunately there is a bootstrapping
  | problem because it thinks it does not need it for NetBSD.

This is not entirely correct.

Before I committed the changes to tools/compat to check for fparseln,
I tested the changes on a NetBSD 1.6_STABLE system, a -current system
without the migration, and a -current system with the migration,
and tool build worked fine each time.

Note; in each case I was building "clean" (I.e, I disabled UPDATE=1),
UNPRIVED, read-only source, to a DESTDIR != /.

  | Revert all your changes.
  |
  | make includes && cd lib/libc && make && make install
  |
  | Then proceed with your build. Somebody should put this
  | in UPDATING.

Is that necessary?
(I suppose it might be for DESTDIR=/ builds...)