Subject: Re: Problems with system makefiles and optimization flags
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/07/2002 11:10:03
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Andrew Brown wrote:

> >Use
> >
> >.ifndef DESTDIR
> >.endif
> >
> >in /etc/mk.conf perhaps?
>
> in the case of GENERIC or INSTALL kernels being built for a snapshot,
> RELEASEDIR would be set.  DESTDIR, too, i suppose, but RELEASEDIR
> seems more specific to the task at hand.

Sure, if you do two passes, the second one with UPDATE or NOCLEANDIR.
Otherwise RELEASEDIR is set for the whole build, including userland
and sets. That's sub-optimal. I think I'd like something like COPTS
that only affects userland, something like KOPTS that only affects
kernels (which defaults to empty in GENERIC &c, so GENERIC &c is
immune to global setting of, as it doesn't make any sense to customize
GENERIC), and for the ramdisk in distrib to be immune to both.

Frederick