Subject: Re: Problems with system makefiles and optimization flags
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/07/2002 10:17:39
>>        2. The kernel and userland Makefiles now use completely
>>           different variables for holding the optimization flags.
>
>Currently, if I set "COPTS" to apply a sub-model optimization to the
>userland binaries, it also applies to the GENERIC and INSTALL kernels
>and the ramdisk, which is undesirable, and usually breaks the release.
>Is there (will there) be a way to do that?

yes.  i have a small patch to config(8) that simply sets
KERNEL_BUILD=<CONFIGNAME> at the top of the kernel makefile.  that
means you can (or will soon be able to) define things in your mk.conf
that only apply to kernels.

i have one other minor tweak to make to config first...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."