Subject: Slight tweak to dynamic-root changes
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/24/2002 18:02:34
Folks...

I'm planning on making a slight tweak to the dynamic-root changes (really,
the only reason I need to make the tweak is because I must have simply
overlooked it in the original description).

Basically, what I want to do is make programs that live in /usr/... (i.e.
/usr/bin, etc.) continue to use the /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so path to the
dynamic linker, and only have the /usr/lib rpath embedded in them.

The reason for this is simple: "Because those are the defaults that GCC
uses when it builds programs."  Since GCC needs to run on more versions
of NetBSD than just -current, I (the host/target maintainer of GCC for
NetBSD) am not going to change the defaults in GCC to use /libexec/ld.elf_so
and /lib,/usr/lib.

It basically boils down to "stuff in /bin and /sbin are the special case",
and thus should get the special-case treatment.  Everything else will
simply behave as before.

Anyway, I'll make this change on Friday unless someone can give me a good
reason not to.