Subject: Re: weird lossage with xcompile macppc -> sparc
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/24/2002 08:52:26
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 04:09:14PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > That one really should be (signed char).
>
> But I don't see how the cross-compiler gets this wrong, since it already
> knows "char" is signed on the target (sparc), not unsigned like on the
> host (macppc).

That was in the bottom of the note. When I wrote this code, not only were
the cross-compilers using this file, but host-tool-makers (i.e.
/usr/bin/cc) were using it too. *They* won't get char right, and need
signed vs unsigned.

Since this stuff was added, the host-side tools have been changed, and
they no longer use syntax.h, so I don't think we still need this code.

Still haven't figured out why it's getting the wrong answer though.

Take care,

Bill