Subject: Building a cross development toolchain for i386 to MIPS32 compatible
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Riffel <jason.riffel@cadreng.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/13/2002 12:21:26
Hello,

I'm trying to compile a cross development toolchain for i386 to MIPS32 compatible (specifically the au1500 from Alchemy)

I was going to use the packages to install the cross compiler for mipseb-netbsd.

I installed NetBSD 1.5.3 last night on a new machine (no problems).

I tried to use SUP to get the packages but it wouldn't work (keeps complaining 'SUP: can't find my host entry 'bsdbox'').  So next I just ftp'd the packages down from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz and installed them.

The installation of the package did not work, lots of various errors.  (I wonder if those packages are for 1.6)

So at this point I did the binary package installations from 1.5 (there were none available for 1.5.3) which seems to have worked.

Now I need to build up a set of libraries and get the includes (glibc I'm assuming since I plan on compiling the evbmips port).  I guess at this point what I'm looking for is what version of glibc I should compile and are there any patches necessary.  Or, if I'm going about this all wrong I'd love some insight on how to get this toolset built up correctly.

Also, looking at the binary distribution there is no GDB cross debugger.  I'm currently working on a JTAG implementation for remote GDB for MIPS32 so I want to get a 'cross GDB for MIPS' as well.

Any help is greatly apreciated.  I'm obviously somewhat new to development for NetBSD/Unix but still very experienced at these sort of projects.  I'm wondering if I have missed some obvious documentation somewhere.  I found a section of documentation about getting the cross compiler built but it seems to mostly just say 'install the package'.

Thanks in advance,
Jason Riffel
Cadre Engineering, LLC
4094 Majestic Lane Suite 226