Subject: Re: New ld.elf_so from FreeBSD
To: Charles Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/05/2002 10:49:14
Charles Hannum wrote:
> * C++ code (and thus GNOME, KDE, mozilla, etc.) starts up much faster.
>
> * The Alpha platform attains reasonable performance, where right now
>   things like the XF86 4 server are basically unusable.
>
> * The occasional `undefined PLT symbol' problems (on Alpha) are gone.
>
> * Multi-threading support (i.e. r/w locking for dl*() calls) is added.

Very cool, all these are very important.

But please make the migration a bit less painful - such as keeping
the old ld.elf_so as around (as, say, libexec/old.ld.elf_so),
and keep using it for platforms which wouldn't be supported by the new
ld_elf.so initially.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/