Subject: Re: Upgrade from 1.5.x to -current on alpha
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/17/2002 19:08:36
Greywolf wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
>
> # what about just using build.sh correctly? :)  you should not use
> # DESTDIR=/, that's why you broke your system.
>
> Umno, I don't buy this.
>
> If DESTDIR=/ is that broke, it shouldn't be permitted at all.

build.sh with DESTDIR=/ generally does work (I do that most of
time), but should only be used if you are confident the build would
succeed.

It's surely very bad idea to do source upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6
using DESTDIR=/ or when you do such build for the first time.

My understanding is that the default DESTDIR=/ is there because
most people tracking -current (and thus most users of build.sh)
use this anyway, so it's convenience setting (i.e 'default').
Arguably this might not be too intuitive for casual build.sh
user, but such person should definitely RTFM BUILDING or
'nroff -mandoc BUILDING.mdoc' first.

Jaromir