Subject: Re: Problem remains with build.sh *not* installing new binaries
To: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/19/2002 21:43:30
This is what happens:

1. build.sh sets environment variable DESTDIR to what was specified by -D
2. DESTDIR is passed with other environ to spawned make(1), which
   sets it's own make DESTDIR accordingly
3. when a program directory is entered, it's <bsd.foo.mk> is read;
   this includes pulling in <bsd.own.mk> and thus your /etc/mk.conf
4. your /etc/mk.conf had

   DESTDIR=/usr/build

   i.e. it inconditionally overrode any previous setting
5. for rest of processing (compiling, installing, whatever), make(1)'s
   DESTDIR was set to /usr/build

In other words, you managed to hang yourself on the rope provided
by build.sh/make mechanisms :)

One possible fix is to change the DESTDIR setting in your /etc/mk.conf to:

DESTDIR?=/usr/build

in your /etc/mk.conf, so that it would only provide default, not
override other settings.

Jaromir

--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html