Subject: Toolchain for pc532. Progress!
To: None <port-pc532@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Dall <ian@beware.dropbear.id.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/16/2002 23:58:36
I've been able to cross compile (on linux 1686) an almost complete
netbsd tree and kernel using USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN. I had to turn off
MKKERBEROS, and MKPIC, and I didn't build the in-tree gcc, or binutils
(though they will build with minor fixes).

There were a very few things which now seem to assume the existance
of machine/elf_machdep.h, which fail for the pc532 port.

I used current gcc and binutils (from the FSF development, not the
in-tree ones). I made minor changes to binutils and gcc. The gcc fix
should be back-portable to earlier versions OK.

A prefunctory check shows most utilities work and the kernel works.
There are few minor changes required due to the new ld interpreting
the text base address options slightly differently.

The only failure I know of is "groff" which coredumps. I am assuming
this is something todo with binutils, weak symbols and groff being in
implimented in c++, but apart from that, I don't have much of a clue.

The good news is that I did not have a single internal compiler error
doing all that. Correction, I did have *one* compiling "boot" with