Subject: Re: asm line separators
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/12/2002 09:52:38
On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 07:17:02PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> >> Hi.  In keeping with HP tradition, gas for hppa recognizes ; as a comment
> >> character, not as a line separator.  ! is the line separator.
> >>
> >> For now, I'm using the following uncommitted patch to sys/sys/cdefs_elf.h.
> >> It allows the MD cdefs.h to define __ASM_DELIMITER, otherwise it defaults
> >> to ;.  Seems like a kludge, looking for comments.  Thanks -
> >
> >FWIW, I'll need this for the CRIS port too (where @ is the line separator.)
>
> having these (two things?) available for all ports would be, imho, a
> good thing.  does anyone else have any interest?

That change makes the source look TRULLY horrid!

Is there scope for 'fixing' gcc so that a single line separater
will work for all architectures (in asm() statements).

Maybe gcc itself could generate separate output lines
when an asm() statement contains an unquoted ;.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk