Subject: Re: DRAFT toolchain upgrade plan
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/28/2002 12:02:47
At Tue, 28 May 2002 02:13:21 +0000 (UTC), "Jason R Thorpe" wrote:
> 	A. GCC 3.2
>
> 	Rationale:
> [ ... ]
> 		GCC 3.2 is scheduled for release in December 2002.  It
> 		may be acceptable to import development versions of the
> 		compiler into the tree to track until the 3.2 release
> 		is made, so long as we do not ship an actual NetBSD release
> 		with a non-release compiler.

I'd not be at all surprised if 3.2 slipped a bit from that.  ("3.1
slipped...")

Strongly recommend against diving into the import of development
versions.  It'll not only potentially cause a fair bit of pain due the
'bug of the day' problems, but it can also tie peoples' hands if they
want to create a new release branch and the compiler just isn't ready.

Given that you indicated that the biggest problems (as opposed to
missing targets) you listed had already been fixed for 3.2... well, if
it were me, I'd consider back-porting the patches.

cgd