Subject: Re: Suggested addition to build.sh
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/17/2002 11:59:49
On Fri, 17 May 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> : But "distrib" doesn't stand alone very nicely. Even if I can manage to
> : build the sysinstall kernel one day, I can never remember how I did it
> : the next. It's usually easier to do "build.sh -R..." or "make release"
> : at the top (and then walk away for a long time). Whether it rates a
> : hook in "build.sh" or not, it would be really useful to have a
> : top-level target for building sysinstall. Such a target really does
> : belong at the top level, just like "distribution"  or "release", which
> : it would be a subset of.
>
> Actually, the only MI place where such a hook belongs is as a target of
> distrib/Makefile.  But, until all ports have such a kernel, even that
> requires a lot of smarts.
>
> What's wrong with simply building in distrib/ after populating $DESTDIR?
> You may want to build a sysinst kernel to test, but others may want to build
> miniroots, or floppies, or....

You mean, "after populating $DESTDIR and building the appropriate
kernel". But even that doesn't work...

   # /t/tools-i386/bin/nbmake-mac68k release
   nbmake: don't know how to make release. Stop

   nbmake: stopped in /s/src-current/distrib

If you make a change in distrib/utils/sysinstall, you have to build
in that directory, then in the ramdisk directory, then in the
instkernel directory -- each time with specific make variables set,
in order to reproduce what src/etc/Makefile is doing in src/distrib.
"make" is supposed to do all that hard stuff for me.

Frederick