Subject: Re: Suggested addition to build.sh
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/17/2002 12:41:50
On Fri, 17 May 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

: But "distrib" doesn't stand alone very nicely. Even if I can manage to
: build the sysinstall kernel one day, I can never remember how I did it
: the next. It's usually easier to do "build.sh -R..." or "make release"
: at the top (and then walk away for a long time). Whether it rates a
: hook in "build.sh" or not, it would be really useful to have a
: top-level target for building sysinstall. Such a target really does
: belong at the top level, just like "distribution"  or "release", which
: it would be a subset of.

Actually, the only MI place where such a hook belongs is as a target of
distrib/Makefile.  But, until all ports have such a kernel, even that
requires a lot of smarts.

What's wrong with simply building in distrib/ after populating $DESTDIR?
You may want to build a sysinst kernel to test, but others may want to build
miniroots, or floppies, or....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/