Subject: Re: In-tree compiler version
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/29/2002 00:01:00
On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 08:24:09AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:

 > Maybe I have the wrong impression but to me it looks like the 2.95.3 compiler
 > in-tree now isn't realy up to it's task.
 >
 >  - sparc64, sh*, arm (others?) are heavily backporting fixes from 3.1 or
 >    -current to make the compiler useable (which didn't work even for
 >    base system stuff for arm yet)
 >  - the AMD 64 bit stuff isn't supported
 >
 > Are there any plans to base the in-tree version on something modern any time
 > soon?

Probably not "soon".  GCC 3.1 isn't even released yet, and 3.0 is definitely
not up to the task.

Also, I've been working on getting all of our targets supported in
the master GCC sources, but I don't have infinite time to spend on.

In one of the cases you state, GCC -current for ARM doesn't even support
the ABI we use, so switching now would be an incredibly bad idea.