Subject: Re: cross-elf2ecoff
To: None <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/21/2002 21:30:30
In message: <Pine.WNT.4.43.0203211835010.1020-100000@todd>
            Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> writes:
: Please make sure that things like this get cc'd to tech-toolchain (all
: port-* lists are moved to Bcc: in this message).
:
: On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
:
: : I've had to add a sys/exec_ecoff.h with fixed-size types, and
: : change machine/ecoff_machdep.h the same way, so that the ecoff structures are
: : the same on LP32 and LP64 hosts.
:
: I don't know that I particularly like this idea, because it's still doing
: something inherently MD.  Given that it's confined to the tool's directory,
: that's not so bad, but it gives me pause.
:
: I'd more prefer if we could analyze why objcopy's translator is not creating
: proper ECOFF files, as that would be the *ideal* cross-platform way to do
: this.

For the folks on tech-toolchain:

The issue with objcopy is that it produces ECOFF files that older ROMs
won't boot.  These files have the wrong magic number.  While the magic
number can sometimes be changed and the file will boot, other times it
can't.  At least that's been my experience with elf2ecoff and my
Deskstation rPC44.

Warner