Subject: Re: cross-elf2ecoff
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/21/2002 20:22:11
On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: >I'd more prefer if we could analyze why objcopy's translator is not creating
: >proper ECOFF files, as that would be the *ideal* cross-platform way to do
: >this.

: I've never understood why people keep assuming that objcopy can do
: everything NetBSD needs from an ELF-to-ecoff translator, when even the
: author of objcopy's facilities said (after we researched the
: requirements) that objcopy doesn't do what we want and never will?
: (Or did Jason really fix that and get the GNU maintainers to buy it back?)

Even so, we should be able to make such a tool based on bfd, that could take
the place of both elf2aout and elf2ecoff.  This was proposed before, and
it's something we should look at.

Anyway, do note that I said that it gives me pause -- but I didn't say
"don't do it".  Manuel, fortunately, isolated the exec_ecoff.h stuff to the
cross-tool's own ssubdir.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/